Migrated from NovaTec Jira. Original ticket: INSPECTIT-1012
In another project, we are currently migrating to Gradle due to the advantages this build tool provides compared to Maven and Ant.
For me, I would really like to have it for inspectIT in place, too. There are many reasons for this:
gradle is a very good mix of declarative and imperative build files, the good of both worlds of maven and ant
we struggled many times with ant in the past (but yes, currently it runs)
by changing to gradle, we can learn how this system works and use it more in the future for other projects
we don't need to rely on ivy anymore. Dependency management is a first class citizen (and again, yes, ivy works now, but it wasn't that easy all the time)
the migration path should be most of the time quite painless as ant tasks and projects are first class citizens, too. So we can migrate one step after the other
So the question is if we want to spend some time on this (I would suspect that Ivan would need about one week to get a good build base for our artifacts and some days more for polishing).
Comment above was from me. Forgot to log in.
Work on this ticket was already done in Sprint 6, adding not to forget.
I fixed the IncompatibleClassChangeError that we were getting last Friday.. Apparently the problem was in logging libraries. Well seams that the version were not somehow compatible with newest Spring version we are using (or at least something in this direction). Anyway in older inspectit-agent.jar these logging libs were above the spring libs in the libs/ folder. But now they are under (before sorting was on artifact group, now it's on artifact name itself). Thus in previous agent inspectIT class loader loaded them first.
Anyway I tried to update to the newest version and problems were gone. I think this is good enough now .. Anyway, this change I added as a new commit on top of existing 5 regarding Gradle migration. Just that we have this separated and that you can check this out. Updates are pushed, I will also trigger the Jenkins build.
Interesting that logging libraries could cause this problem.
Yes, sounds like a good approach. Thanks for your work!